| ATLAS MDT Mezzanine Board
Updated 10 July 2003, firstname.lastname@example.org
|For Rome 4x6 version See E.Spiriti Page|
|also see Readout Overview Page|
|and Hedgehog Page|
|E. Hazen||11 April 2001||Connectors and Pinouts for 3x8 Mezz Lite|
Threshold Circuit Operation: There seems to be much mystery surrounding the correct operation of the threshold circuit. Here is a short presentation which should clear things up.
Documentation for 4x6 Rev 1.1 on separate page here.
Documentation for Rev K on separate page here.
Documentation for Rev J on separate page here.
Documentation for Rev H
Revision H has been prototyped (September 2000).
- Switch to AMT-1 TDC.
- Change to VQ44 package for Xilinx
- Move all digital circuitry to TDC end and shrink board outline
OrCAD files MEZZH.DSN
Schematic (PDF) sch_top.pdf (4 pages) Gerbers mezzH.zip Assembly docs revH_assy.pdf
There is already one known problem with this design: The Xilinx pinout is completely wrong, so it must be removed from the JTAG chain for the board to work at all.
Documentation for Rev G
Revision G has been prototyped (August 2000).
- Add 36-pin mini-D-ribbon connector with all external connections. All other connectors (except header for Xilinx prototyping) are removed.
- Increase board with on top edge by about 1cm to accomodate connector. Route digital power and signals from left to right across the top outside the original board outline to avoid digital-analog crosstalk.
OrCAD files MEZZG.DSN
Gerbers mezz-g.zip Schematic (PDF) MezzG_top.pdf All but first sheet are same as Rev E-F Component list COMPS.pdf or
Assembly docs top_assy.pdf
Documentation for Rev F
Revision F is being produced (qty 10) in July 2000.
- Change from 4 to 6 layers, add analog gnd on bottom
- connect right and left digital sections with inner layer traces only
- Add floating "shield" layers around digitial section
- Fix threshold op-amp oscillation (series Rs)
- Move hedgehog standoff holes 0.050 in right
- Increase power plane isoloations to 0.1 in
OrCAD files MEZZF.DSN
Documentation for Rev E
Revision E was produced (qty 10) in June 2000. No more will be produced until Revision F. Significant changes (see slides ) with pictures):
- Board is 8mm narrower to fit with patch panel
- RJ-45 connectors switched to 2mm vertical headers
- Digital power added to TDC data cable
- Optional shield connection (R-C to GND) added to all cables
- All connectors moved to center of board to avoid patch panel conflicts
Photo with connector locations Schematics MezzE_sch.pdf As built 9 Jun 2000 Connector Pinouts RevE_pinout.txt Pinout of new 2mm connectors Protection Circuit prot.pdf Details of protection circuit layout Gerber Files gerber.zip OrCAD Files MEZZE.DSN
Documentation for Rev C & D
Revision C was produced (only a few) in early 1999.
Revision D was produced in October 1999. 10 boards were built of which about 5 were functional, and used for testing at Boston and Michigan.
Schematics mezz_d_built.pdf (841kb) Corrected to Rev D - 19 Apr 2000 JTAG Information The board has a JTAG chain consisting of two devices. In order from "JTAG in" to "JTAG out" connectors:
JTAG (programming examples)
Photos Top view: Top.PDF
Bottom view: Bottom.PDF
Connectors Jumpers/Connectors detailed pinouts Gerber files RevD_gerber.zip